Monday, 21 January 2013

Trade Winds ....A Breath of Fresh Air

What better way to celebrate the New Year and new aspirations than with a new project which tries out new skills. Having hand-pieced and hand quilted my last two quilts which I gifted to others, I am trying my hand at machine piecing. Much as I am a huge advocate of slow stitching and the Slow Cloth manifesto, hand piecing a quilt does take quite a long time, time perhaps better given to hand quilting the top once pieced. 

So,  I invested in a 1/4" seam foot for my sewing machine and have begun to piece a tablerunner, following a pattern from Moda Bake Shop, but using  a Trade Winds Charm Pack from Moda.

Here's the fabric


And here's the centre blocks of the tablerunner pieced and the side blocks cut and ready to sew together.  The solid  turquoise fabric is for the borders and the backing: I'm going to use the self-binding method to finish the edges (until I practice separate binding!)




No comments:

Post a Comment