Monday, 20 May 2013

A Firm Foundation

Last week in my Sampler Quilt class we learned foundation paper piecing, not to be confused with English paper piecing, which I used to do my hexagon book wrap gem.  I really like the foundation paper piecing method, especially because of its accuracy.  So I had a go at making a large block from batiks using Stitch and Tear as the foundation.

Foundation paper piecing in progress


 And made the block into this quilted tote bag as a retirement gift for a friend. I am really pleased with the result, as I am quite new to constructing items like bags and book covers.




And I also completed the quilted portfolio I made for my sister in law's birthday. She is doing a sculpture class summer school, so I thought the design was perfect.





The design is called 'Best Face Forward' and was a free pattern on line by Catherine Nicholls for thr3fold journal by Design Matters. If you have never visited their website be sure to give it a try. Linda and Laura Kemshall produce wonderfully inspiring videos of creative textile art techniques and ideas. And their quilts are exceptional.


No comments:

Post a Comment