Tuesday, 27 August 2013

New Horizons....and a little 'Jem'

I am very excited to report that just before going on holiday to Norfolk last week I treated myself to a new sewing machine. My original intention was to wait until Christmas, but my very, very old Janome was just not up to the job in terms of quilting; no speed control, no needle down, quite noisy, great little straight stitcher, but ...

...and then while popping along to my  fortnightly quilt drop in session I happened to discover a very good deal with the Janome Horizon QC 8200 with a trade in of my old machine. 

Decision time!  All a bit nerve wracking. Some research was in order. I surfed the internet for reviews, most of which were very good; I watched it in action on the Janome stand at the Festival of Quilts; I read an excellent blog post on this very model by JeliQuilts here which told me all I needed to know. Off I went with a list of things to try out, fabric, quilt sandwiches, and several questions and I played on the machine for an hour in the shop.

It was gorgeous. It purred along so quietly, and was really easy to use.

Reader, I bought it!  Sorry, her.


Isn't she lovely? So far I have only pieced on her, and practiced stitch in the ditch nice and slowly....bearing in mind I have not done a lot of machine quilting to date. 

Here she is in action - the 11" throat space makes her a joy to use:


And her she is with her just arrived today extension table.  No excuses now not to start practicing free motion quilting!




But she is, of course, far too big a lassie to take to classes and workshops...so,

Meet the delightful little Janome Jem Platinum 720 who arrived to day, second hand, fully serviced, and with her very own carry bag,



I have yet to have a play with her, but I'll let you know how I go on.

Anyway, my Christmas present this year will now be a spool of thread!

No comments:

Post a Comment