Wednesday, 4 September 2013

Medallion Star Quilt

This last weekend I finally finished my stack and whack project - the Medallion Star Quilt. I had a big push on it thanks to a Twitter sew-in organised by some quilty bloggers  in the US. A great time was had by all as quilters  - or #twilters as they are known on Twitter - worked on projects and posted photos of their work in progress.

So...here is my finished piece, made using Kaffe Fassett's Flower Basket  for Westminster Fabrics and a background of solid black. The backing fabric is a small scale pink and orange design from a range of African cotton fabrics in my local sewing shop. The quilt measures 47" x 47".

It is my first machine quilted effort so I stuck to stitching in the ditch  which is not actually that easy to do!

But it gave me  plenty of practice on my new Janome Horizon 8200QC and having the extra throat space made quilting it a pleasure.




I wanted a bright background fabric to contrast with the black, but that left me with the challenge of stitching with pink thread on black which was a lesson in careful choice of background fabric! But apart from a few wobbly bits I am quite pleased with the result. I used Aurifil  for the first time and that was lovely to work with.

I haven't thought of name yet so suggestions welcome!

8 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness this is stunning. I love the design and the movement and the colours, it's all just stunning. Well done on a fab finish !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rose, that is really superb! Absolutely marvellous piece of work. It reminds me of some of the paintings of Seraphine de Senlis.
    How about African Starlight as a suggestion for a name?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Liz! And I do like your idea for a name.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely gorgeous, sibetta! Stunningly beautiful and exquisitely crafted. A-Plus for the elegant prose too! Love, Sib xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really beautiful! Glad we could spur you to complete such a wonderful piece. I'm fresh out of names at the moment--have been remarkably uncreative with my own project names of late. I need to get on the ball with that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning quilt in wonderful fabric. You're right, machine quilting in the ditch is quite tricky. I tried once and then pulled it all out. I find either side of the ditch much easier! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Люблю калейдоскопы!

    ReplyDelete