Friday, 11 October 2013

Mood Indigo Log Cabin



I'm a bit delayed in joining the Linky Party this week because I hosted a Sew-In at my house yesterday, which involved lots of stitching, chatting, and of course, a 'crafternoon' tea and cake.

In a  distinct change of mood from the colour scheme of the Medallion Star quilt  and the more modern fabrics of the Windmill quilt I am putting together a small lap quilt or possibly a walll hanging, made from a Kasuri layer cake by Moda.

The Kasuri collection, as the name suggests, is range of fabric inspired by Japanese textiles, and is very reminiscent of the fabrics used to create 'Boro' clothing which was put together from fragments and rags, and 'Bodoko' (meaning 'life-cloth'). You can see some pictures and learn more about these on the website of the Amuse Museum in Tokyo. 

I did a bit of web research about quilt patterns for layer cakes and eventually hit upon how to cut up a layer cake to create a log cabin block measuring 8.5 inches. This brilliant method comes from Trish at  www.notesofsincerity.blogspot

There is little room for error in this method, so I carefully cut the layer cakes into the required number of strips, and kept all the same size together




Each block is made up of one each of these strips, and  I kept the plain indigo as the centre of each one



Then sewed each block together,



Now I need to decide on the final layout and borders and backing.

Have a good sewing week!




2 comments:

  1. This is going to look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely quilt Rose. I'm over visiting from Dandelion Daydreams. I haven't done a quilt in Japanese blues, but I did do one which had lots of gold through it. I called it Japanese Wells because I used Mary Ellen Hopkins design Hidden Wells to make it. It was great fun. Looking forward to seeing how this one turns out.

    ReplyDelete