First each patterned layer cake was sewn across a marked diagonal to a Kona solid 'snow' layer cake right sides facing. i also marked the vertical and horizontal lines ready for accurate cutting
Which, when cut, produced half square triangles
Of which there were 256 !!
Which then had to trimmed to exactly 4.5 " which took ages,
I then matched pairs together and have begun to join them to make the main blocks
Which was when I realised that every little 4.5" block had a pint to match up! So I took my time, which I like to do anyway....I'm all for slow stitching, by hand or machine.....and used this opportunity to practise pinning and matching points, and haven't done too badly so far. The method I use is to insert a very thin 'anchoring' pin at a 90 degree angle to the fabric and then come in low with another pin making sure the point of this comes out at the point you inserted the anchoring pin, ensuring you know where the point is when you sew the seam.
And a happy by-product of this project was some spare layer cake squares which I used to make a nice fat, heavy pin cushion filled with rice and tied with embroidery thread.
And it's Brit Sewing Thursday too!