Thursday, 5 December 2013

Some 2013 finishes...and a new challenge

I have finally finished the Foxglove Fancy Quilt which was started in a stack and whack class a few months ago. I quilted it in straight lines using a YLI 40 wt variegated thread which performed well, mirroring the hexagon shapes in the solid corners. A lesson learned is not to quilt the borders in straight lines unless you know the quilt is good and square, and while I wasn't too far off in this respect, the floral fabric hides any slight skewed lines well!





 And my new challenge for 2014 is to try my hand at lace knitting.I am not an experience knitter, but have done scarves and bags and even a pair of socks once, but have always liked the idea of knitting lace shawls. I have started a practice piece seen here, 


and have asked Santa for this gorgeous book by Elizabeth Lovick to help me in my new endeavours. The shawls on the cover may look daunting, but reviews assure me she covers all the basics for begiiner lace knitters.




Meanwhile, work has begun in earnest on the Manchester City Football quilt for DH. More of that in a later post.


And I paper pieced a Christmas Card for my local Embroiderers' Guild. We each had to make a 'secret santa' card in a technique of our own choosing.


So, all in all, a very productive week! 

Linking up with Brit Sewing Thursday. Happy stitching!

5 comments:

  1. Your quilt is beautiful and I love your elegant photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am completely and utterly in love with that quilt Rose. Are those medallions pieced? It's just so beautiful and the colours are perfect. I love the spotty backing too. Stunning. Just stunning. I hope it's going to a good (appreciative) home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quilt is beautiful! And lace knitting sounds like a good challenge for next year, that book looks like it will provide lots of inspiration! Returning the visit from the Brit Sewing Linky.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a beautiful quilt and inspired quilting too

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your quilt - the colours are superb.

    ReplyDelete