Sunday, 5 January 2014

Happy 2014 and lots of quilty gifts and goodness

May 2014 be a year of delight and discovery for the many lovely friends I have made both in the on line creative community and in quilt classes I have gone along to in recent months.

If your thoughts are turning to fresh starts and new aspirations, Julie Moberly, a creative coach who writes the Artful Life Newsletter has lots of great suggestions and gentle reminders about planning and goal setting for creative people, including excellent advice about achieving what makes your heart and soul sing, not weighing ourselves down with 'shoulds' that feel burdensome or unrealistic.

Lots of quilty goodness came in the form of a gorgeous ceramic patchwork bowl - very much a surprise gift from my SiL - made by the talented Catherine Daniels over at PotterJotter.  Check out Catherine's website for more beautiful quilt bowls and patchwork inspired ceramic gifts.





A Liberty's of London mouse pincushion -  isn't she a darling?




Two books, Quilts 1700-2010, Hidden Histories, Untold Stories, edited by Sue Prichard, textile Curator at the V&A. The book was written to accompany a major Quilt Exhibition at the V&A in 2010. Sadly, I missed this, but am looking forward to reading about the men and women behind some of the U.K's most stunning historical and contemporary quilts.

And another lovely surprise, 500 Quilt Blocks co written by  Lynne Goldsworthy of  Lily's Quilts Blog and Kerry Green of verrykerryberry.blogspot. The book is a compendium of quilt block patterns to suit all skill levels, with instructions and suggestions for material choices and ideas for projects. 



And, I have started in earnest on one of my aspirations for 2014 - learning how to knit lace.




Linking up with Fresh Sewing Day and Small Blog meet over at Lily's Quilts


Lily's Quilts

I'll leave you with this thought for 2014, a quote from Zora Neale Hurston,

"There are years that ask questions, and years that answer."

Wishing everyone a happy and healthy New Year with plenty of SLOW STiTCHING ! Remember, it's not all about how fast or how much!


5 comments:

  1. What lovely presents! That bowl is gorgeous and the mouse adorable! I have both those books and I was lucky enough to go to the Exhibition, it's a wonderful one to have in the collection. I also got Lynne and Kerry's book, it's another great reference book, I love their fabric choices. Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely thoughtful post. I also have Lynne and kerry's book - present to myself. I am going to have a look at Julie Moberly's newsletter, as I do find myself setting silly deadlines and then missing the enjoyment factor of making! You had some beautiful gifts. I wish you every success knitting lace, best wishes for 2014

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adore you wee mousy....and the bowl is just simply gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rose! Thank you so much for posting about the bowl I made which you got for Christmas. I am thrilled to be able to follow it through to it's final home! I did get to go to the V&A Quits Exhibit and it was just brilliant, so I am sure you will love that book. I just love your quote and may take it to include on my blog with reference to you of course, if you don't mind. x Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Rose - good to meet you. Love Cathy's bowl - I was one of the lucky winners of some buttons from Cathy's blog last year. Gorgeous mouse and I love your lace. I look forward to following your blog.

    ReplyDelete