Tuesday, 3 June 2014

Orange Peel Quilt finish and a trip

I'm putting a touch of tennis elbow down to all the starch & freezer paper pressing and several hours of hand applique to stitch this scrappy quilt top. Well worth it, though: I am very pleased with the result - just need to layer it up now ready to quilt.




The pattern is by Kathleen Tracy and finishes at 37" x 37".

Meanwhile, DH and I enjoyed a few days away a couple of weeks ago at Barnard Castle, home to Richard III. On the way we stopped off at Dalemain House near Penrith in Cumbria. An unexpectedly quirky mix of architectural styles, the house is really interesting. But the gardens are delightful.  Famous for the blue poppy grown there in abundance, it is a true plantsman's haven. It was a bit too early for the blue poppy display - only one was in bloom.


The gardens at Dalemain
And an old barn held an astonishing collection of old agricultural and farming implements.Imagine doing your washing with these!


A washtub, a washing machine and a mangle

Our trip was to celebrate our birthdays both of which fall in May and our wedding anniversary.
I made this bookmark  for DH as a little anniversary gift,





Enjoy some slow stitching!

4 comments:

  1. Lovely photos. Your orange peel quilt is beautiful - I will look forward to seeing how you quilt it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, just came to your blog via Cathy Daniels , and have enjoyed looking at your wonderful quilting work. So beautiful. I particularly like the quilt you made for your step-granddaughter. Following you now on bloglovin. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rose, I just adore the orange peel quilt top - reminds me that I have never done that pattern on a pot and it would look fab! Your history about Mrs Lincoln is so interesting - I should really try to learn more Civil War stuff too as a background to the quilting etc. Not enough hours in the days at the moment though. xCathy

    ReplyDelete